Tuesday, August 2, 2016

photo diary no.2

Currently: 8:36pm, listening to Howl's Moving Castle soundtrack, in my room

Joe Hisaishi is brilliant. I wonder what his brain looks like (*ahem, psych major*) when he composes music. And there's also Hayao Miyazaki and his films. Before leaving the library this morning, my sister and I decided to stop by the movies section and pick out some films to binge watch throughout the day. (And this is okay because it's still summer.) Along with two Harry Potter movies, we checked out two of Miyazaki's films: Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service.  Ponyo was interesting, but it's probably not a movie I'd watch again. Kiki's Delivery Service was one of my favorite childhood movies, so I was excited to pop that one into the DVD player. I have to say, though, my all time favorite Miyazaki film is Howl's Moving Castle. It's more dramatic and pretty graphic, in my opinion. But the music quality deserves two thumbs up (and five stars), and the love story inevitably sucks you in. (Btw, I don't know anything about anime/manga! I just know a couple of Miyazaki's films.)

Anyway (oops, I skipped introduction),

This diary entry isn't going to be titled "weekly" because, frankly, too many weeks have passed since I last posted one. (And that was my first photo diary. This will the second one, and I'm already lackin'! Oops.) Hmm, this might be a permanent thing - me not being consistent with posting photo diaries on a regular term. So, maybe I'll just omit the weekly part and start calling them "Photo Diaries".

I'll start with the edibles - What have I been eating? (A quick "be aware" note: A lot of these just look the same, smh. My meals really aren't that spectacular. I just like to arrange the food parts so they look somewhat aesthetic and picture-worthy.)




  



A part of why I started (and want to keep up with) these photo diaries is because I want to empty out and cleanse my phone's photo album without forever-deleting all the pictures. (Sad life of a 16BG iPhone owner) I want to share them somewhere, but I don't feel like uploading every single one of them on Instagram. I don't think any of my followers have found my blog yet, but this digital space will be a good platform for me to share my joy of making and snapping my plates! (And yes, that is gochujang in the last two pictures. Sadly, I couldn't find appropriate side dishes to add into my bibimbap, so it was just rice, greens, and my trusty Korean red pepper paste. But hey, it was still really good!)

And here are some things I did these last couple weeks of July:



 


 

 

 

I went to Uniqlo for the first time this month! Before entering, I expected to grab some graphic tees. But after looking around, none of them really appealed to me. So instead, I bought two loose-fitting basic shirts. (I love neutrals and simple, versatile pieces.) I've already washed them a couple of times, and they seem to be fine. The quality isn't the best, but it's reasonably good for their relatively low price.

Looked through my notes from the past semester. Yes, I'm one of those people who spend time and energy perfecting lines and letters to make class notes intricate and aesthetically pleasing. (And I feel a little embarrassed saying this, lol.) Believe it or not, this method actually helps me learn the material better! It appeals to both my eyes and brain.

Other things I did: I went to the library and read some scientific articles, drove downtown Chicago (The last picture is a view of nighttime Chicago from the John Hancock building!), and visited a lapidary museum with the family. My dad always finds weird (and quite banal) museums whenever we go on vacations. But this one was actually cool! I especially loved the gems and crystal displays. Thanks, dad.

I've been dreading the whole summer, waiting for next week (move-in week!) to come. Going back to campus after three months away is so exciting. New classes are starting (EEK, SUCH EXCITEMENT) and I'll see my friends again (EEG, SUCH EXCITEMENT). I'll, hopefully, do another photo diary before I leave for campus next week. It's kind of weird that I'm already halfway done with my undergraduate career. I wonder what I'll be thinking / doing this time next year?